2010 DTH Yiwu
Oct 7, 2016, 3.5g/64ml gaiwan [4.8]
Dry: Pungent, clean, fruity
Wet: Very perfumed, pungent, dark, quite good
Wash: Medium thickness, sweet, active, but immediate “tea taste” akin to shu.
- Savoury, vegetal, pungent florals, thick
- Aroma spreading, bitter/blank arrival with sweet aftertaste. Initial taste is not compelling, vegetal, noticeable black tea taste. Good aftertaste and excellent aroma on empty cup.
- Vegetal residue, more astringency. Good aftertaste though.
- More bitterness and astringency
- Clear oolong notes, some heat.
- Black tea notes! English breakfast, weird oolong top note in the aftertaste. Getting a mild qi waves sensation back of neck.
- Quite good balance bitter + sweet. Enjoyable neck cooling mild qi. Weird aftertaste.
- Decreasing flavour, more astringency, not as astringent as 2009. Dissipating qi sensation.
The clear black tea and oolong notes really hurt this tea in my view. There are good aspects hiding in the background though, and there is even some clear qi, though mild. So it could be that this tea is in an awkward phase. In any case, this is near the bottom of the DTH range.