2007 XZH Yuanshilin Gushucha
25 June 2017
5g/90ml Novak unglazed pot
Damp: Fruity funk. Perfume, wine and woodiness.
Wash: Very slight smoke on liquor, active on tongue. Caramel on empty cup. Very sweet.
- Very viscous. Touch of black tea note. Tartness. Empty cup aroma very good. Sweet caramelized resin aroma on empty cup. Very thick. Salivation on the sides of tongue, and opening of the throat. Resemblance to a floral tisane, like chrysanthemum.
- Woody sweet incense on the empty cup. Really heavy on the throat. Slow breathing. Neck sweats. Calmness.
- Smokiness does come through. Incense, wood.
- Lingering sweet coating on tongue. Long lasting aftertaste
- Cooling now beginning. Especially on the back and lower back, chest. Frosty! Frisson wave. Interesting as the entire torso is cold. Quite interesting experience.
- Same as before
- Does respond very well to pushing. Get quite a lot of bitterness and qi waves. Very nice licorice type of bark tastes. Feeling very good after this longer steep. Huge body effect after a delay. Frisson waves, reverberating.
I will need more sessions with this tea. It has thickness, energy, bitterness, and interesting aftertaste, as well as a very nice aroma experience which is very close to woody sweet incense. But it also subtle in some way, perhaps the flavour is not very full. I am not sure what my issue with it is yet. Also, it has the black tea notes which I find off-putting. I will need to try it again soon.